Home » d21 Archive

Francesco’s Italy: Top to Toe

Posted on 27th June 2006. 92 Comments

Elizabeth-Anne Grummitt fails to be charmed by the silver-haired one’s travelogue…
and did I mention sexy? | coincidence, or lack of imagination? | style over substance
And did I mention sexy?
If one was to be so rude as to attempt to cut Count Francesco de Mosto in half one would find ‘sexy Italian’ written right through him, like a stick of Blackpool rock (a confection equally sugary and difficult to digest). Attractive and charming, as of course all Europeans are, de Mosto was last seen showing us around his native Venice. This year he has helped us to discover the entire of Italy, Top to Toe, in his latest show, currently running on BBC2. (Catch the next episode on Sunday.) And blimey, but the channel is making sure they get their money’s worth out of him. From the trailer that cheekily winked ‘and his country’s not bad either’ to the current selection from the message board on the show’s site (‘Have to say he did make my heart beat a little faster – it’s the voice I think’) it’s clear that Italy itself is a sideshow to the main attraction.

Here’s Francesco with his adorable children. Francesco meeting up with ‘a good friend of my mother in law’ who just happens to be Maggie Smith. Francesco with his sexy car driving through the sexy hills of sexy Tuscany. Francesco repeatedly saying ‘ow do you say’ in his sexy Italian accent. You know ow you say it for God’s sake you clearly wrote this speech in advance! Sorry, I may have snapped somewhere around the Maggie Smith mark. There was something about Italy in there as well, but I couldn’t make it out over the stupid jazzy music that accompanied everything. Mack the Knife and the like may be appropriate for sexy car driving but for Masaccio’s Expulsion from Paradise?

Coincidence, or lack of imagination?
All this is probably not de Mosto’s fault. I loved his Venice documentary which was informative as well as enjoyable and unquestionably benefited from the fact it was fronted by someone who obviously had a passion for the subject, and perhaps crucially, had not been seen on our screens before. De Mosto is unquestionably charismatic, and also clearly intelligent, (and yes, ok, really rather attractive) but in Top to Toe he is swamped by a format that was too obviously falling over itself to be charming and in this context his manner seems contrived and irritating. There’s another problem behind the programme as well. Top to Toe appeared to be blatantly ripping off another, lesser seen travelogue, fronted by someone who has the disadvantage of not really being a sexy anything.

Brian Sewell’s Grand Tour shown earlier this year on Channel 5 covered exactly the same ground that Francesco is currently swanning around on. The similarities extend further than the fact that there is inevitably going to be some overlap between any two programmes on Italy. Grand Tour also featured the presenter driving around in a (slightly less sexy) car accompanied by a cheerful jazzy soundtrack. It also featured Sewell mixing with “real people” and offering anecdotes rather than just standing about talking about a work of art, Tim Marlowe style. Even the titles remind me of each other. Perhaps it’s all a coincidence. Or perhaps the producers of Top to Toe hoped that no one watches Channel 5. Unfortunately for them, this reviewer does, frequently, and Top to Toe is much the poorer for the comparison with Sewell’s programme. While in Grand Tour the car driving was an opportunity for Sewell to enlighten us on some obscure fact of Italian history or reminisce about his first tour around Italy as a student, in Top to Toe it’s just an excuse to see Francesco’s hair get blown about prettily.

Style over substance
What is more Sewell spoke about the country and its art far more informatively than de Mosto is allowed to do. During the aforementioned visit to Masaccio’s fresco, as well as having to endure the inappropriate soundtrack (overused excessively here in contrast to Grand Tour) we are told neither the title or painter of the work, in fact nothing at all about it whatsoever. The occasion is instead used for de Mosto to tell Maggie Smith off for reading from her guidebook and thus spoiling the moment. (Because she is English and therefore rubbish at this sort of thing.) All very well, and goodness knows I have had to fight back the temptation to say similar things to more than one fellow tourist in my time but it’s rather pointless when the audience does not get a chance to contemplate the work themselves. Top to Toe’s approach feels rushed throughout, and it is the art that suffers most.

It was, I felt, a great accomplishment of Grand Tour (especially given Sewell’s love-it-or-hate-it persona) that I felt I was really getting to know about the presenter and his feelings for the country during my journey through Italy. In contrast by the end of episode two of Top to Toe I wanted to make de Mosto eat his damn sweater. (I don’t care if the housewives like it!) For a break-neck look at Italy with some charming if shallow glimpses of modern Italian life (at least that of those in the high income bracket) Top to Toe was fine. However, I hope the BBC let their sexy Francesco go back to making something with a bit more depth soon.

92 Comments »

• Ed Grummitt said:

Brilliant, Elizabeth – you have, how you say, got him in one!
    By the way, sports fans, Francesco’s car is a very sexy Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce 2000.
    Congrats on your BA – Dad

• Ed Grummitt said:

Brilliant, Elizabeth – you have, how you say, got him in one!
    Congrats on your BA – Dad

• Ed Grummitt said:

Brilliant, Elizabeth – you have, how you say, got him in one!
    Congrats on your BA – Dad

• Peter said:

Parents are ‘ow you say?’ very nice indeed. Ed made me smile. Ta.

• Peter said:

Parents are ‘ow you say?’ very nice indeed. Ed made me smile. Ta.

• Peter said:

Parents are ‘ow you say?’ very nice indeed. Ed made me smile. Ta.

• Linda McGrath said:

Elizabeth-Anne Grumpy should keep her opinions of Francesco de Mosto to herself. I don’t see Brian Sewell in the same way, and further more don’t want to. Francesco is brilliant in what he does, because he makes everyone (male and female) feel he is talking directly to them, and not the camera. I have the greatest respect for Brian Sewell as an art critic, but boy oh boy where is the excitement, he is as dull as ditch water.

I can’t wait to see Francesco doing a new programme, I wonder how many people, can’t wait to see Brians.

• Linda McGrath said:

• Linda McGrath said:

• Andrea Zanini Pellerito said:

I couldn't agree more with Linda McGrath…. It is unfortunate some people (Elizabeth-Anne Grummitt) lack the ability to relax a bit to enjoy life and the rare pleasantries it has to offer such as "Francesco's Italy – Top to Toe'. Having visited Italy several times including my family near Venice it is pure joy to revisit and feel the Italian charisma and ambience as so skillfully conveyed by Francesco –his dialogue certainly far more informative and entertaining than Grummitt’s cynically superior view!

-         Andrea Zanini Pellerito

• Andrea Zanini Pellerito said:

-         Andrea Zanini Pellerito

• Andrea Zanini Pellerito said:

-         Andrea Zanini Pellerito

• Section Editor said:

As ever, all opinions are valid, and Elizabeth-Anne's article is expressing her own. It's possible you may not agree (I, being Italian myself, greatly enjoyed the program) but it does not make her opinion, or the article, any less valid. But that's what this board is for, to give readers a chance to express their own thoughts, so feel free, but let's try to play nice ok? :-)

• Section Editor said:

• Section Editor said:

• Bar Andrew said:

I personlly cannot wait until someone has the sense to let Francesco do another programme; it doesn't matter what the subject is, it can be a tour of Milton Keynes as far as I am concerned. I thought I knew quite a lot about Venice but I loved the way he went right back to the beginning of how Venice was formed and he told the story with warts and all. It didn't do any harm that he is charming and sexy (and i'm 75!)

• Bar Andrew said:

• Bar Andrew said:

• John Aruzian said:

A little off the main topic, but I had to comment…I noticed in both Grand Tour AND Top to Toe that the sound techs were not Italian. I also noticed, as I have begun to in everyy darn thing I see on TV from documentaries to West Wing, that the sound techs are suffering from too many years of Walkmans!

The background "music" and "background "sounds" make the dialogue impossible to hear.

Combine that with the fact that so many voices on TV today seem to have come from the "method actor", Marlon Brando school of MUMBLING, and it becomes almost impossible to understand anything they say.

Francesco, to more of a degree than others who work their vocal chords on TV, at least pronounced, even with his Italian accent, his words sufficiently clear so that I could understand MOST of what he said above the incessant roar of that insane background noise.

And, unlike others in these travel logs, he pointed out negatives about Italy. If you believed most of those other travel hype series, Italy is heaven and nirvana combined.

Both had their good and not so good points, but both gave a little more insight into what Italy might be like, day to day, than Samantha and those other goody two shoes out there in travel land.

I wonder WHO pays for them all to dine and lodge several levels above what I can afford?

JCA

USA

• John Aruzian said:

JCA

USA

• John Aruzian said:

JCA

USA

• Gia McCarthy said:

I love watching Francesco's Italy: Top to Toe I was just sorry to see it end at the last episode, because I was ready to watch more on Italy. It is not only because of the fact that I love Italy, have been there several times, but because of the way Francesco de Mosto presented the show.  He is brilliant in his presentation of his country. Not to mention, charming and sexy. (*_^)  I hope to see him do more on this topic, or anything else for that matter.

Gia

• Gia McCarthy said:

Gia

• Gia McCarthy said:

Gia

• Grace O'Connor said:

I must be getting gray-haired in my thinking because I did not find Francesco sexy or even good-looking.  However, the four episodes of "Top to Toe" were splendid.  Beautifully filmed.  Too many travelogues skimp on the scenes they film either by shooting them in quick snippets or lingering high above the scene.  Francesco visited cities and places I had not seen (Palermo and Capri, for example) and for those things I may have already seen (like the Bronzes of Riace), a second chance to "see them" through his knowledgeable eyes and dialogue.  I thoroughly enjoyed the brief series and wish my local travel channel would repeat them.  One more word about Francesco… he was a perfect host.  The epitome of "la bella figura."

• Grace O'Connor said:

• Grace O'Connor said:

• Dorothy said:

I thought Francesco's Top to Toe was fantastic. I love his gravelly voice and accent. I understand the criticisms by Elizabeth, but to me, the essence of what Italy is oozed from every scene, description, objet d'art, music etc. As a lover of all things Italian, I was transfixed by Top to Toe, and the easy chatty way Francesco  presented the series. As a frequent visitor to Italy, I found out many things I didn't know, and discovered places I may visit in future. I really liked the fact Francesco took us to little known places, off the beaten tourist track, including for example the tunnels under Naples. Absolutely fascinating, macabre and astounding viewing!! I loved every minute of it!!

• Dorothy said:

• Dorothy said:

• Mary Schofield said:

Loved Francesco's Italy but could anyone please tell me what the music was in the last episode when Francesco and his mother went to Palermo?

• Mary Schofield said:

• Mary Schofield said:

• Mark Phythian said:

I think the Francesco's – 'Top to Toe' was nothing short of brilliant. It gave us all an insight into the wonderful and unique Italian culture and showed us a glimse of the many treasures Italy has.

I think it will have made may British people reflect on how the British culture is perhaps not what we would like it to be and how we need to radically improve our core values and morals.

I was particularly impressed by his family and the clear demonstration of love and closeness within it.

Mark Phythian.

• Mark Phythian said:

Mark Phythian.

• Mark Phythian said:

Mark Phythian.

• Cassandra Swift said:

Elizabeth-Anne has be a lesbian!  Fantastic show, can't wait for his next!

• Cassandra Swift said:

Elizabeth-Anne has be a lesbian!  Fantastic show, can't wait for his next!

• Cassandra Swift said:

Elizabeth-Anne has be a lesbian!  Fantastic show, can't wait for his next!

• Carl Robson said:

I hope I can shed some light on the music played during the last episode. As the ferry approaches Sicily from the Italian mainland ' Caruso' by Lucio Dalla is playing. As for elsewhere in the episode, I'm not too sure. You may be interested to learn that they are currently in the process of making a sequel to 'Top To Toe' which involves sailing around the med on a sailing vessel from 1899. I got this info from Andrea Carnevali, the series Film Editor, so it should hold some substance. Can't wait for more!

• Carl Robson said:

• Carl Robson said:

• Anonymous said:

"It made me think that If I were Italian – I would feel very proud and very happy about my country. But seeing how so many values have disappeared in Britain and how our British culture is being diluted by too many immigrants and by so called human rights laws, I can't say I'm proud of being British, though I wish I could."

You're an idiot. Get to know Italy a bit better before you make such ridiculously sweeping statements on the basis of a TV programme. And the human rights laws you whinge about have nothing to do with anything (Daily Mail reader per chance?)  and are European. Italy is in Europe. Ergo your argument is crap. And if Italy is so fine for not having immigrants, why are all Italians I know obsessed with the UK and love London?

• Anonymous said:

• Anonymous said:

• ian hector said:

HI EVERYONE..WHAT A FANTASTIC SERIES THIS WAS..THE GUY OOZES HIS LOVE FOR HIS COUNTRY..BUT I AM SURE THIS WAS RELEASED ON DVD..BUT I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE..DOES ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER OR HAS THE SERIES ON VIDEO OR DVD..I KNOW VENICE CAME OUT ON DVD..BUT I WANT THIS SERIES..HELP!!!!!!!!!1

• ian hector said:

• ian hector said:

• Gavin said:

I spoke to the BBC and they said their were no plans to release Francesco's Italy.  They did provide me with an address to write to which hopefully anyone reading this will also think about doing if they wish to buy the series in the future.

Programming & Acquisitions Dept

Programming & Acquisitions Dept
    2 entertain
    33 Foley Street
    London
    W1W 7TL

• Adrian said:

Agree with the guy who said that this comment is completely stupid – it is very stupid. There is no such thing like stupid arrogance that makes italians feel proud. In fact, they emmigrated a lot in history. And I never felt a stranger there, despite not being Italian. It's not pride that matters, but the fact that they can enjoy life, which frustrated guys like you cannot.

• Adrian said:

• Adrian said:

• MADMIKE said:

I have to say if not only for the culture the show was excellent. Brian Sewell is similar to Michael Palin in the way he wanders about like a foreigner. Not really accurately showing us the people. Francesco, being Italian shares something special with the Italian people. In the last one I think, He demostrates the boyish way of the Italian man, throwing a rock at the floor of a volcano to hear the boom, and then laughing at the remark "and we could fall through at any moment". It truly was a cheerful program, it just makes you smile watching it. It just shows the difference between happy-go lucky Italians, and people like this Elizabeth-Anne (obv. Wealthy and therefore snooty) who demonstrate what a miserable bunch the british are!

• MADMIKE said:

• MADMIKE said:

• zaki said:

I thought for a minute Totti was presenting travel programmes. Now that I would pay to see. His Vodafone adverts in Italy were a masterpiece. Of shitness.

• zaki said:

• zaki said:

• travel the planet said:

Fantastic programme.  The BBC seem to be slow in putting it on DVD though.  Anyone have any idea when it will be released?

• travel the planet said:

• travel the planet said:

• margherita alicia vultaggio said:

I truly loved the top to toe,Italy, it made me sad and happy all at the same time Sicily is the home place of my grandparents and I plan on seeing  it soon…..Francesco is great  in telling his story of this wonderful country…   I can't wait for it to come on video so that I can watch it many a time.

• margherita alicia vultaggio said:

• margherita alicia vultaggio said:

• Maria Young said:

I found this to be truly enjoyable and entertaining to watch.  I'm an Italian American and always objected to every other boring travel show I've ever seen on Italy because it lacked the emotion that represents and encompasses the people and what Italy is all about.  I wanted to see, hear, and feel Italy, its people, and its art. Top to Toe was able to accomplish just that. Count Francesco de Mosto was a master at this and presented Italy like only a true Italian who loves his country could, and I might add, with style, imagination, insight and perception that was truly entertaining and humorous. He took advantage of his position and status in Italy like no other could and to our benefit.  His casual insider's view and comments presented a natural look of how Italians look at art and family and why they love their country so much.  It's too bad that the sheer beauty of Count Mosto's emotional interpretation is not as valued as much as the art history "substance" that appeared to be missing in Grummit's view.  Francesco well understood that in the end, it's not the art history facts from the tour guide book Maggie was reading (although she was well-intentioned) that we'll remember, it's the insider's view from this truly honest amazing and likable Italian Count. Bravo! I want to see more!

• Maria Young said:

• Maria Young said:

• Leo said:

Second time round, I still enjoyed it. Any news on a DVD?

• Leo said:

Second time round, I still enjoyed it. Any news on a DVD?

• Leo said:

Second time round, I still enjoyed it. Any news on a DVD?

• Diosa Pazos said:

Since Carl Robson was able to shed some light as to the music on the last episode, can anyone tell me what the music from the episode “The Romantic North” is when Francesco is leaving the Villa Rotonda and is on his way to Verona? I think that someone should organize a soundtrack from his shows as I think the music is wonderful as is the show. I would surely buy it.

• Diosa Pazos said:

• Diosa Pazos said:

• john francis said:

been in touch with bbc home page and was advised that the above dvd will be available in june this year…can’t wait

• john francis said:

• john francis said:

• Norma said:

Three fab programs i just love watching them over and over
    Francesco makes you feel you are there along side him. if you have never been you will certainly feel as if you have . roll on more Francesco

• Norma said:

Three fab programs i just love watching them over and over

• Norma said:

Three fab programs i just love watching them over and over

• Zakhariah Fairfax said:

I suspect this article was written not to criticize the programme sincerely, but to specifically rebel against a programme that most people love. And why? Author is probably a contrived non-conformist.

The tell tale signs are there; read carefully, and notice the paucity of the language used.

• Dungeon Derek said:

Amazing. An interesting thread like ‘the wankergate scandal’ is taken off line by the usual do-gooders on this site, and yet the above b@llocks survives the cull. Talking of b@llocks, some people at this Uni need to grow a pair?

• Ronaldo Clag said:

I’d just like to retort to the above comment. While Dungeon Derek may have a point re: the average nad capacity in Durham, I feel he misses the crucial point that this article is conveying. But not having read the f***er properly I don’t know either!

Roll on October, it’s gonna be messy!

• John England said:

Ronaldo Clag – re. October you f*cking know it PAL! I will be there with the trusty old upside down reversible man papoose, yeh that’s right WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!
    FYI – if the article is half as sh*t as the above comments, Elizabeth-Anne Gusset (tehe) needs to take herself outside and have a word with herself!

• Dungeon Derek said:

Write off OCTOBER i’m off on the m@ther f@cker of all benders! yeEEEEEEEEaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

Elizabeth-Anne Grummitt – if the author can’t even reveal their own name then i might as well go and shoot myself immediatley. THERE ARE NO NADS/B@LLOCKS/SWINGERS/DANGLERS/SWEATIES LEFT IN THIS UNI

I REPEAT

THERE ARE NO NADS/B@LLOCKS/SWINGERS/DANGLERS/SWEATIES LEFT IN THIS UNI

• Ronaldo Clag said:

Now hold on, we could whinge about Hatfield’s lack of sacks all day but what I, and probably this Francesco fella, would like to know is who would you have in the final Ashes decider? I’d take Ramps and maybe get Goughie in there!

One thing doesn’t need any debate – I will be resident in Klute come October and let’s be honest it WILL BE MESSY!

• John England said:

Listen to me “Dungeon Derek” (PS epic name big balls!) I think you taken this a tad too far no one gives a sh*t about the article so CUT OUT THE GUFFTALKING! I think everybody wants to discuss one or both of the following:-

1. The lack of testes on show at U of D; and/or

2. The batting line up for the final ashes test.

For me I think you’d have to pinpoint the 2006 academic year as the starting point for the noncification (DD is that a word?) of U of D.

Re. the batting line up I’d stick with Ian “the ginger ferret” Bell and Ravi “I have no right batting at three except against completely clarry teams” Bopara.

FYI Ronaldo, I have a gold card (Klute) and I am not afraid to f*cking use it!

• Elliott Winkleparp said:

Just to add my considerable weight (and gonads) behind this argument. The issue of Ashes test berths is a thorny one. Could I pick a winning eleven and get them to gel in 2 months without key players? No, is the answer! Let’s just get behind the lads and give the Aussies a good hiding!

Just to further this, I remember my freshers week and was asked “Are you coming to the JCR fo a meet and greet?”

I replied “you’re having a laugh” and promptly kicked the backside out of it in klute till 3am. If they didn’t have door staff on I would never have left the f***er!

• Frank Letch said:

Clearly someone has BOOBED. This site has become a haven for BALL BAGS and SCROTUMS. On another level, i’m gonna rip t’ARSE out of it in OCTOBER. literally.
    Ashes? what ashes, the aussies hardly brought a team, even COLLINGWOOD 1st XI could have put up more resistance.

D

• John England said:

Too F*cking right Frank! It’s going to be off the motherf*cking chain!
    FYI – Collingwood 1st XI could NOT have put up more resistance. No dithrethpect, but, I just DO NOT think you can compare them to an International cricket team (YET).

CAN I MAKE IT PLAIN – That come October I will be trying to pull as many “randomers” in Klute as possible!

• Ruud Breastknap said:

John England. You are talking out ya HOOP fella. England CC couldn’t bat their way out of A WET PAPER BAG. On another note, lets get bl@ddered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!