Home » News

Kingsgate Bridge: Work Suspended

Posted on 13th October 2005. No Comment

Stephanie Offer reports on the mysterious re-opening of Kingsgate Bridge…

Delays
Refurbishment of Kingsgate Bridge “has been pulled off… for the moment” due to a dispute over whether or not Listed Building Consent is necessary for the work.

The County Council believed that the nature of the work they were carrying out and the materials being used meant that consent would not be necessary. However, the City Council disagree and work, which had been expected to last up to two weeks, has been suspended while discussions continue.

In addition once the County Council engineers got on site and actually started work they found that some technical details needed modifying.

Refurbishment
The County Council had been intending to refurbish the decking and its approaches, repairing and re-laying the concrete slabs which have lain in-situ since the bridge was opened by Durham University 40 years ago.

The bridge was designed by world renowned engineer/designer Ove Arup, best known for his work on landmarks such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Pompidou Centre in Paris and London’s Millennium Bridge.

Kingsgate was opened by the University in November 1963. In 1993 it won the Concrete Society’s “Mature Concrete Structure Award”.

A spokesman for the County Council said, “The fact that we have put a hold on the repairs and refurbishment scheme does not in any way mean that the bridge is currently unsafe for pedestrian use.”

No Comment »

• Calvin said:

Much as it’s annoying when it’s shut, the resurfacing is much needed. In winter it can be an icy deathtrap, paticularly for Hatfield drinkers such as myself. It’s concrete so you can’t salt it and an extended rough surface similar to what’s on the steps next to the bridge would be fantastic

• Calvin said:

• Calvin said:

• barney said:

Pull it down. That’d solve the problem. Its a deathtrap that bridge…

Replace it with a rope-bridge, or a free hang-glider service. Come on people – I’M MAKING SENSE!

• barney said:

Pull it down. That’d solve the problem. Its a deathtrap that bridge…

• barney said:

Pull it down. That’d solve the problem. Its a deathtrap that bridge…

• Anonymous said:

or a tight-rope…

• Anonymous said:

or a tight-rope…

• Anonymous said:

or a tight-rope…

• Geoff Boycott said:

I for one would be happy to see the bridge removed, but only on the condition that it be replaced and the gorge filled with the lifeless bodies of Hatfield drinkers, their demise usefully ensuring a thoroughfare be maintained.

• Geoff Boycott said:

• Geoff Boycott said:

• Anonymous said:

So is it true that the bridge was designed by the same guy as Sydney Opera House… and that he was prouder of the former than the latter? So wrong!

• Anonymous said:

• Anonymous said:

• Eblane said:

The Opera House was a bit of disaster for the designer, and he was well and truly shafted over it.

Bridges are nice and simple by comparison.

• Eblane said:

Bridges are nice and simple by comparison.

• Eblane said:

Bridges are nice and simple by comparison.

• Wolf said:

I heard they were replacing the bridge for a hang tough arena. I am utterly devestated that the work isn’t going to be done for a while.

However, I am in Durham for a few days and I will be signing autographs in the YTC. Wolf power!

• Wolf said:

• Wolf said:

• mott said:

I’m with you Geoff on this one

• mott said:

I’m with you Geoff on this one

• mott said:

I’m with you Geoff on this one

• fingers said:

or we could just push the whole of Hatfield college into the river, knocking the bridge down with it, thereby ensuring that one of Durham’s more iritating structures was removed for good, and getting rid of the bridge as well.

with the added bonus of killing a few toffs…

• fingers said:

with the added bonus of killing a few toffs…

• fingers said:

with the added bonus of killing a few toffs…

• BC said:

I think it would be much more amusing to keep the hatfield buildings but put Cuths/Castle students in them. You could then move all hatfield students to a tent city (or similar) up by Tesco and thus maximise the annoyance and irritation factors for hatfielders.

• BC said:

• BC said:

• Matt WJ said:

We’re all so negative about the ol’ bridge, but compared to the grey visor eyesore of DSU, it’s actually quite attractive.

• Matt WJ said:

• Matt WJ said:

• Morris said:

But thats like saying that a turd lookes good when curled next to a pile of sick.

Excuse me…

• Morris said:

Excuse me…

• Morris said:

Excuse me…

• Crom said:

It’s definitely got a Grade II listing, and that’s where the trouble lies. When the workmen tarred and pebble-dashed the stairs at the Hatfield end, you know with that rubbishy yellow bird seed stuff, the next day I passed by and was assailed by two officious looking chaps asing if I knew how and when it had happened. Clearly the entire process went a bit tits-up from the outset.

• Crom said:

• Crom said:

• Boycott said:

I think the “yellow bird seed stuff” was probably just vomit.

• Boycott said:

I think the “yellow bird seed stuff” was probably just vomit.

• Boycott said:

I think the “yellow bird seed stuff” was probably just vomit.

• Roddy said:

I quite like it. Pull down Dunelm any old day, but the bridge has something else to it. Shame it’s an ice rink in Winter. I saw an elderly lady thud to the ground last year, and it took me half a minute to get there without involuntarily landing beside her. And I’m fairly sure it’s Grade I.

• Roddy said: